|Reference Number|| |
|Job Description|| |
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations, cross-disciplinary research, innovation, and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centres, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
The Unmanned Systems Research Laboratory (USRL; http://usrl.cyi.ac.cy) is one of the flagship facility of the Cyprus Institute (CyI); developed in the framework of the “Autonomous Flying Platforms for Atmospheric and Earth Surface Observation” Project (APAESO). The facility is operating various sizes of fixed and rotary wing Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS), a mobile Ground Control Station and a fully equipped laboratory and workshop dedicated to Unmanned Systems and their Applications. USRL is currently involved in various field of research, including atmospheric sciences, environmental surveillance, and photogrammetry (for 3D reconstruction of terrain and constructions)
In order to further extend its research activities in the field of UAV-based photogrammetry and further develop new aerial imaging applications, the Cyprus Institute is seeking for a Remote Sensing Research Scientist with experience in data acquisition and processing of aerial remote sensing data.
This position is supported by the RIF INTEGRATED/0918/0034 project “PERIsCOPE” (Portal for hERItage buildingS integration into the COntemPorary built Environment), the RIF EXCELLENCE/0918/0144 project IH-AT (Invisible Heritage - Analysis and Technologies) and the EU H2020 project “EMME-CARE” (Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre; TEAMING Grant no. 856612), within which the Cyprus Institute is establishing a “Centre of Excellence” in Climate and Atmosphere research for the EMME region in cooperation with EU Advanced Partners (Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany; University of Helsinki in Finland; and CEA in France).
The successful candidate will be a member of the Research and Development Team of the USRL under the supervision of the USRL manager and CARE-C Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Processing and Analysis of UAV based remote sensing data.
2. Flight Planning, Image Acquisition and Processing for 3D reconstruction (Photogrammetry).
3. Cooperate with PhD/MSc students and develop small applications for data acquisition and data manipulation of their scientific instruments.
4. Assist in the development of software/hardware for image acquisition and processing systems.
5. Participate in scheduled Test Flights for the purpose of the development and optimization of the imaging systems.
6. Participate in field deployment (including research campaigns) and demonstrations of UAVs in Cyprus and abroad.
7. Remain updated on UAS imaging systems and associated technology and make appropriate recommendations to the team leader.
8. Ensure compliance with service guidance, Institute’s policy and procedures and Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations.
|Job Requirements|| |
Preferred/ Desirable Qualifications and Experience
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of three references (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Christos Keleshis, (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
|Opening Date|| |
Wednesday, February 12, 2020
|Closing Date|| |
Thursday, March 12, 2020