|Reference Number|| |
|Job Description|| |
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) invites applications for the position of Professor at the CyI's Climate and Atmosphere Research Center (CARE-C). This position is opened either on full-time (100%) or part-time basis.
This position is opened to outstanding scientists of international caliber in the framework of the EU-H2020 “EMME-CARE” (Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre; http://emme-care.cyi.ac.cy/; TEAMING Grant no. 856612), within which the Cyprus Institute is establishing a “Centre of Excellence” in Climate and Atmosphere research for the EMME region in cooperation with EU Advanced Partners (Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany; University of Helsinki in Finland; and CEA in France).
Description of the Position
The selected Professor will take a leading role in the development of CARE-C’s research and innovation agenda in at least one of its scientific focus (Environmental Observations and/or Predictions) covering experimental and/or modelling activities on key climate drivers (reactive trace gases, aerosols, clouds, greenhouse gases), addressing in particular their regional impact on Air Pollution and Climate.
In close collaboration with the Director and Heads of the CARE-C Research Departments, the successful candidate is expected to establish independent and highly competitive research thrusts with the highest international standards, leveraging CyI and CARE-C resources (45 million euros in the framework of EMME-CARE) and taking advantage of flagship research facilities of the Cyprus Institute such as the “Cy-Tera” HPC (http://web.cytera.cyi.ac.cy/), the Unmanned System Research Laboratory (USRL, http://usrl.cyi.ac.cy), and the Cyprus Atmospheric Observatory (CAO, http://www.cyi.ac.cy/index.php/cao.html) which is part of international networks (WMO-GAW, EMEP, ACTRIS, TCCON).
The successful candidate will establish a new research group of young international scientists and enhance the overall scientific excellence of the Cyprus Institute in the EMME, Europe, and beyond. S/he will connect the Cyprus Institute to prestigious networks of excellence, bring to a higher level both research and innovation with strategic partners (Academia, Public stakeholders, Private partners), and support the development of new products/services of high added value.
The selected Faculty will conduct her/his research in CARE-C, a recently established research center of the Cyprus Institute composed by c.a. 75 research staff from more than 15 different nationalities, within a highly attractive working environment where English is the working language for both research and administration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible for helping to shape and advance the Cyprus Institute’s and CARE-C's research and innovation agenda by:
1. developing and implementing R&D strategies appropriate to the Institute’s mission to support the departments of the republic of Cyprus and become a regional knowledge hub in the field of air pollution and climate change
2. actively participating and ultimately leading world-class research program in atmospheric sciences using state-of-the-art experimental and modelling tools
3. securing financial and other resources from national and international sources;
4. mentoring, educating and providing research guidance to graduate students in CyI's doctoral program (particularly the Environment and Atmospheric Sciences program);
5. initiating and sustaining high-level collaborative projects with leading research institutions that conduct research in areas related to his/her respective fields;
6. communicating the results and implications of research conducted at CARE-C and The Cyprus Institute at all levels, including the academic community, the public at large and political and economic decision makers.
|Job Requirements|| |
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit 1) a detailed curriculum vitae including his/her list of publications, 2) a letter of interest including vision statement, and 3) a list of five (5) references (including their contact information; address, email, phone) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Prof. Jean Sciare, (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
Contact Person: Jean Sciare
Reference Number: CYI_PAS_20_01
|Opening Date|| |
Wednesday, February 26, 2020
|Closing Date|| |
Sunday, May 31, 2020