Closing Date: 14th May 2017
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees (www.cyi.ac.cy). Research at the Cyprus Institute is conducted through its three interdisciplinary research centers: the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC), and the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CASTORC). Its Educational activities are pursued through its Graduate School, which currently offers doctoral Degrees. (http://www.cyi.ac.cy/education.html). The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC) of CyI pioneers the introduction, development and employment of intense computational methods and data to advance academic disciplines (in science, technology and the humanities).
The Director of the CaSToRC will be responsible for the general operation and conduct of all affairs of the research center. He/she will work in Cyprus, and will be offered a tenured Professorship, with an internationally attractive salary and benefits package, commensurate to his/her high degree of responsibility and qualifications.
It is expected that that Director will also be an active researcher is one of the thematic areas pursued by CaSToRC which include:
- Scientific Computing and Data Intensive Applications
- Computational physics, chemistry and biology
- Computational Science for Energy systems, Climate, Weather & Environmental Science and medical physics/imaging Applications of High Performance Computing in digital cultural heritage, visualization and engineering
The incumbent should be an outstanding scholar with strong leadership qualities, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in research management. He/she must have a scientific record of the highest international level, research expertise and leadership competencies in computational science, science and technology and of the importance of science and technology capacity building in Europe and in the Eastern Mediterranean. Previous responsibility for institution building and/or managing complex projects from development to implementation would be a strong advantage.
The candidate must have excellent managerial, interpersonal and leadership skills, with strong capacities for managing human resources, and for generating and maintaining contacts in the academic, business and governmental sectors, as well as obtaining support from them for the Center. Proficiency in spoken and written English is indispensable.
The Director of CaSToRC will be responsible for the conduct of all affairs of the research center, and will report to the Vice President for Research of CyI.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected candidate will undertake the responsibility of the general management of the CaSToRC and will be part of the managing team of the Institute:
- To plan, develop and implement the research agenda of the Center.
- To develop and implement strategies appropriate to the Center’s mission and objectives.
- To recruit the Center’s research staff, and to generally manage, develop, appraise and motivate the staff members of the Center to carry out and achieve the center’s research objectives.
- To develop and oversee the Center’s financial budgets.
- To develop and improve the research and laboratory facilities of the Center
- Overseeing the planning and implementing the design of the computing and other facilities appropriate to the Center’s research program.
- To collaborate closely with the CyI leadership for the continuous development of the Center and of the Cyprus Institute overall
- To raise financial and other resources to support the research agenda and development of the Center
- To undertake tasks and initiatives in relation to her/his faculty appointment
Applicants should submit: (i) a CV including a list of publications, a compilation of research grants obtained, and relevant managerial experience, and (ii) a short, up to two pages vision statement and iii) a list of five potential referees (incl. their contact details). To be assured full consideration, applications should be received via e-mail to HR[at]cyi.ac.cy showing the following reference in the subject heading: CaSToRC_DIR_17_02. Deadline for applications: 14th May 2017. For further information please contact Ms. Christiana Melodias (firstname.lastname@example.org). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.