Closing Date: 31st of December 2017
The National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), and Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC) at the Cyprus Institute (CyI), invite applications for postdoctoral fellow position in the field of Deep Learning. The position is shared between the UIUC and CyI. The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the development of system and software in support of a newly awarded National Science Foundation (NSF) grant to develop a computational instrument for deep learning research.
The NCSA provides supercomputing and advanced digital resources for the nation's science enterprise. Faculty, staff, students, and researchers from around the globe use NCSA’s advanced digital resources to address research grand challenges for the benefit of science and society. NCSA has been advancing one third of the Fortune 50 for more than 30 years by bringing industry, researchers and students together to solve grand challenges at rapid speed and scale.
The CyI is a research institution based in Cyprus. It is an international non-profit science and technology research and post-graduate education organization in pursuit of regional and inter-regional problems of global significance. Led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees and partnered with leading international research institutions, the CyI is world-class in its standards and global in its membership. The CyI is a public benefit organization of Cyprus and welcomes students, faculty and staff of all nations, cultures, races and faiths. The research aims of the CyI are represented by three research centers: CaSToRC, the Energy, Environment and Water Research Center (EEWRC) and the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC).
The successful candidate will work at CaSToRC and NCSA with a main focus on the development and implementation of deep learning frameworks and network training models on a multi-GPU multi-node system. He/she will be primarily engaged in the following activities:
- Extending state-of-the art in the area of deep learning systems and architectures;
- Adaptation of the existing and development of new deep learning frameworks;
- Development of the middleware and application-level software for deep learning;
- Development of web-based interfaces to deep learning frameworks;
- Gathering application requirements and ensuring the developed software meets these requirements;
- Helping research teams to adapt deep learning frameworks to their application areas in particular in thematic areas of common interest to CaSToRC and NCSA;
- Publishing research results;
- Developing tutorials and carrying out training of new users.
The appointment will be for a fixed term of two years with the possibility of extension for another year. The rank and salary range will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Candidate Profile: (Minimum Qualifications)
- PhD degree in computer science, computer engineering, computational sciences, or related fields;
- Experience with deep learning/machine learning software/hardware development and usage;
- Experience in high performance computing;
- Experience in parallel programming with C, C++, Python or other programming languages;
- Analytical problem solving ability;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills.
Additional, preferred skills include: (Preferred Qualifications)
- Research experience in the scientific areas of interest of the Centers;
- Experience in the development of data-intensive scientific applications;
- Expertise in curation of large data sets;
- Knowledge of CUDA or OpenCL programming;
- Knowledge of FPGA-based hardware development tools and techniques;
For full consideration, interested applicants should send their application materials (cover letter, curriculum vitae, research statement, links to recent publications, names/contact information of 3 referees) to email@example.com and include “Cyprus-NCSA Postdoc Application in Deep Learning” in the subject line. Interviews and hires may take place prior to the closing date and early applications are encouraged; however, full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding position requirements and application procedures, contact Volodymyr Kindratenko at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (217) 265-0209.