Closing date: 31st December 2017
Description of the position
The National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), and the Cyprus Institute (CyI), invite applications for postdoctoral fellow position(s) in the fields of Scientific Computing, Machine learning, Compute and data-intensive applications in the thematic areas of focus at CaSToRC, namely Physical Sciences, Climate modelling , computational chemistry, computational biology, imaging, inverse problems visualization and Digital Cultural heritage, The positions are shared between the UIUC and CyI.
The NCSA provides supercomputing and advanced digital resources for the nation's science enterprise. Faculty, staff, students, and collaborators from around the globe use NCSA’s advanced digital resources to address research grand challenges for the benefit of science and society. NCSA has been advancing one third of the Fortune 50 for more than 30 years by bringing industry, researchers and students together to solve grand challenges at rapid speed and scale.
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a research institution based in Cyprus. It is an international non-profit science and technology research and post-graduate education organization in pursuit of regional and inter-regional problems of global significance. Led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees and partnered with leading international research institutions, the CyI is world-class in its standards and global in its membership. The CyI is a public benefit organization of Cyprus and welcomes students, faculty and staff of all nations, cultures, races and faiths. The research aims of the CyI are represented by three research centers: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC), the Energy, Environment and Water Research Center (EEWRC) and the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC).
The successful candidate(s) will work at CyI and UIUC/NCSA with a focus on one of the three following themes:
- Carry common research activities between NCSA and CaSToRC in the field of focus
- Develop new algorithms and codes for current and future supercomputers in the area of focus
- Help research teams to adapt new compute and data approaches to the application area of focus.
- Publishing research results;
- Developing tutorials and carrying out training of users.
The appointment will be for a fixed term of two years with the possibility of extension. The rank and salary range will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Candidate Profile: (Minimum Qualifications)
- PhD degree in computer science, informatics, Computational Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Engineering,Applied Mathematics, or any other field of computational sciences, or related fields;
- Analytical problem solving ability;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills.
Additional, preferred skills include: (Preferred Qualifications)
- Experience in high performance computing;
- Experience in parallel programming with C, C++, Python or other programming languages;
- Research experience in the scientific areas of interest to CaSToRC and NCSA ;
- Experience in the development of data-intensive scientific applications;
- Expertise in curation of large data sets;
- Knowledge of CUDA or OpenCL programming;
- Knowledge of FPGA-based hardware development tools and techniques;
For full consideration, interested applicants should send their application materials (cover letter, curriculum vitae, research statement, links to recent publications, names/contact information of three references to email@example.com and include “Cyprus-UIUC Joint Postdoc Application” in the subject line. Interviews and hires may take place prior to the closing date and early applications are encouraged; however, full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Amanda Lombardo firstname.lastname@example.org.